Choosing a favorite race is a bit like choosing a favorite child. It’s pretty much impossible to do. Each race has its own vibe & positive aspects. Having said that, these are the 5 races I’m most looking forward to in 2015. They are all marathons or ultras since that is my primary focus right now. 🙂
1) Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon & Gold Jacket 5k – The Pro Football Hall of Fame marathon starts in front of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and finishes on the 50 yard line of Fawcett Stadium, where the NFL Hall of Fame game is played. The shirt design, medals, expo, and even mile markers on the course all tie in to the NFL theme of the race. Finishers receive a fleece finisher blanket in lieu of the standard mylar wrap. They also offer a limited number of family finisher bibs, which allow your family members to run the last part of the course and cross the finish line with you. The family finish was one of the highlights of the race for me last year. The Gold Jacket 5k is new for 2015. The first event in the series will be run in Canton, OH on Saturday, April 25. This event will also be themed around the Hall of Fame, and there will be Gold Jacket Hall of Famers giving high fives at the finish line. There will be events in 8 NFL cities in 2015 with a championship race held in Canton during NFL kick-off week in September. The Gold Jacket 5k series will be expanded to all 32 NFL cities in 2016, so keep an eye out for an event near you!
2) The Rubber City Race Series – The Akron marathon was my first marathon, so it has always held a special place in my heart. It’s a well organized event, and is known for its great swag. Last year marathon runners received a jacket, a huge medal, and a custom pair of Swiftwick socks as a finisher gift. The community support on the course is fantastic as well. They are launching the Rubber City Race Series in 2015, which consists of 3 events, with the marathon as the marquee event. The distances are designed to coincide with a standard training schedule, and there will be series scoring in addition to the individual event scoring.
3) Utah Valley Marathon – This is scheduled to be my 20th marathon, so it will mark the halfway point of my 40 by 40 journey. I’m running this one along side my brother in law & sister in law, as it will be their first marathon. The course is a net downhill, and is billed as being fast and scenic. You get to run through Provo Canyon, past Bridle Veil Falls, and finish in downtown Provo. I’ve watched the course video from the 2011 event, and I can’t wait to personally experience these gorgeous mountain views!
4) Burning River 50 Mile & 100 Mile Endurance Runs – These ultramarathon events are run through some of Northeast Ohio’s most scenic trails. The courses wind through the Cleveland Metroparks, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and Summit Metroparks. The event is organized by Western Reserve Racing, which always puts on top notch events. 100 mile finishers receive a custom belt buckle, and 50 mile finishers receive a custom medal.
5) Moebius Green Monster Trail 50k – This race is a low cost, extremely well organized 50k. It also covers some gorgeous trails with stunning views. The finisher medallions are all handmade from slices of a tree branch, and are very unique. You also get a nice technical fabric race shirt, and well stocked aid stations with encouraging volunteers.
Let me know if you are doing any of these events in 2015. Also, don’t forget to enter the Stomp Apparel giveaway below!
I’m participating in the following linkups.
Fit & Fashionable Friday Fitful Focus
Fitness Friday Jill Conyers
Fitness Friday J Pabst Fitness